Fifa have announced they have postponed Conmebol’s 2022 World Cup qualifiers due to coronavirus.
A statement from the sport’s world governing body read: “Following consultation with CONMEBOL, FIFA has decided to postpone the upcoming South American qualifiers for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 as follows:
• Matches originally scheduled to take place during the international window of 23-31 March 2020 are postponed to later dates.
• Details of the postponed matches will be discussed and announced soon.
√ Also Read:
- How Monkeys Escaped With COVID-19 Samples After Attacking Lab Assistant
- China Evacuates More Than 300 Of Its Citizens From Nigeria
- Buhari Disconnected While Delivering Speech At UN Online Event
- BREAKING: Gunmen Kill 7 Policemen In Fresh Attack
- Coronavirus Deaths Top 350,000 Worldwide
“FIFA will continue to assess the situation in relation to COVID-19 and will decide whether further changes to the schedule of South American FIFA World Cup 2022 qualifiers are required, always with the aim of protecting the health and safety of all individuals involved.”
Qualification is yet to get underway for the next World Cup in Qatar in South America’s 10-team league.
Paraguay vs Peru was due to be the first fixture of the next wave of qualification, with Argentina vs Ecuador and Brazil vs Bolivia also in the first round.