Usman Bello, a 30-year-old man was killed while three others were injured in a gas explosion that occurred at Palmgroove Estate, Shomolu area of Lagos state, on Monday.
Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, director-general of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) who confirmed the accident, said the three injured people had been hospitalised.
Oke-Osanyintolu said the agency received an emergency call at about 6pm that a gas explosion had occurred at 13C Palmgroove Estate, Cappa Avenue.
According to him, upon arrival at the scene of the incident, a gas cylinder used in filling an outdoor air conditioner split unit of a storey building exploded as a result of gas leakage from the cylinder.
“This accident result in the death of a 30-year-old male, Usman Bello, while the other three men sustained different degree of injuries.
“The LASEMA response team, the Nigeria police and the Lagos State Fire Service are responders at the scene of incident,” he said.
“All the occupants in the building which belong to Mr Dayo Shofolawe, have been evacuated. The scene of the incident has been cordoned off to prevent any secondary incident.”
He asked the residents not the enter into the premises because there were visible cracks on the walls and pillars, adding that recovery operation was still in progress.